Sunday, April 30, 2017

Week 13


For Week 13, I finally got to finish Fables!

About 2 or so years ago, I started reading Fables after I played Telltales: The Wolf Among Us. I really enjoyed the concept of the different fairytales that we know as kids (and some that we didn't know) becoming main character in a much more adult light.  I remember having stopped right before the comic series called Cubs in Toyland. I had heard from a friend that those issues changed the comics entirely and that it had main character deaths, so I just kept putting it off until I ended up being obsessed with something else. 


Needless to say, I love Fables. I love how the narrative was written and how each character has histories with each other from back when their stories took place, one particularly interesting character, the Jack of Tales, actually represents every Jack in any nursery rhyme or story and is considered just a troublemaker and a huge asshole.  Bigby Wolf, being the Big Bad Wolf and sheriff of all the other fables is an interesting choice, but understandable considering all the other fables know what kind of destruction he's capable of, and fear him-- even if thats not what he wants.  The covers are beautiful, and most are done by the artist James Jean-- with my favorite cover being shown above. Overall its a solid series, and having all the character we know from other stories redone in a creative way is incredible smart and super fun for a narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment