Friday, April 28, 2017

Week 9



For Week 9, I read multiple entries from the Blacksad series.

Goodness... Well to start things off, I didn't just love these books-- I adored them.

Blacksad very easily is one of my favorite comic series I've read so far, it all just has a certain feeling and rhythm to it that seemed to click with me immediately.  The art is all done in watercolor and every single panel is simply beautiful. The characters are fun and expressive, with the exception of some of the female characters looking very similar.  But overall, I connect with the art because its similar as to how i hop to draw someday. Its another example of having a disconnect from reality so that the author is able to get away with more adult things for a younger audience.

 



The way the narrative is set up is brilliant as well. In every book I read from Blacksad, none of the plots were simple "black and white/good vs evil" type of narratives. Every character had their own motives and no one, including Blacksad himself, were ever portrayed as completely morally right or wrong, but rather just living, as characters do.  As well as the villains don't tend to be your stereotypical villains. For instance in this book, it was a pair of writers, but in another book it was about an old jazz band and their producer. This gives the work an ironically human feel, and you sympathize with just about all the characters in one way or another fairly easily. This moment in particular has so much power behind it just a few panels: 


Overall, I didn't expect such a solid series of comics, but I was more than happy to read and enjoy them.  Truthfully, I can't wait to read more and possibly find hard copies to own for myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment