Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Week 3



For week three, which was all about different newspaper prints, I chose to read some of the Micky Mouse Adventure Series comics. Specifically, Micky Mouse Dailies: Micky Mouse in Death Valley and some other miscellaneous Micky Mouse Dailies in class. 
First off, I really enjoyed the art style of these comics. They were reminiscent of the older Micky Mouse style (as they were being released at the same time, and had a very gestural look to them) and they had fun and adventurous narratives to them. These narrative were obviously set up in a way that worked well with weekly comics- keeping readers invested in the storyline to make sure they bought the paper each week to stay tuned.
I also think the nature of these adventure stories were very interesting. They weren't like the stories we used to read as kids with Mickey Mouse in them at all. These stories were much more adventurous and for a slightly older audience, and because of this they were aloud to get away with more more adult themes in the comics.  For example, I read a strip in which Micky Mouse held a villain at gunpoint.  To me, this is a comically striking image, as by todays standards Mickey would never be shown with any kind of weapon. Except possibly a sword of some kind if he was in a more adventurous settings, but more or less its still a rare sight in his modern day appearances.


Overall, I found these comics very fun and I didn't mind reading them at all. Despite the time differences from when it was produced to modern times, a lot of the themes and ideas were very readable, and the more adult and adventurous nature of the comics was an interesting experience. I could very easily see myself making sure to keep up with these weekly comics if I had been around when they were being produced on the weekly.





No comments:

Post a Comment